Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Peace Corps Motivation Statement Essay

So, I failed to post the Motivation Statement Essay when I posted the Cross Cultural Essay. These two essays are required as part of the initial PC application process. So, without further delay, here is my Motivation Statement Essay.

Motivation Statement Essay Directions
Peace Corps service presents major physical, emotional, and intellectual challenges. You have provided information on how you qualify for Peace Corps service elsewhere in the application. In the space below, please provide a statement (between 250-500 words) that includes: 1) Your reasons for wanting to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer; and 2) How these reasons are related to your past experiences and life goals.


Motivation Statement

The Peace Corp’s Mission Statement
1. Helping the people of interested countries in meeting
their need for trained men and women.
2. Helping promote a better understanding of Americans
on the part of the peoples served.
3. Helping promote a better understanding of
other peoples on the part of Americans.

The Peace Corp’s mission statement may be “simple”, but Peace Corps volunteers have enhanced the lives of countless people worldwide since 1961. I believe wholeheartedly in the Peace Corp’s mission, and would like to volunteer for this phenomenal organization. I believe that through the Peace Corps, I can make a positive contribution to the world’s humanity. I would also like to have the chance to challenge myself mentally, emotionally, and physically, and I think volunteering with the Peace Corps will make that possible.

While growing up, my family taught me the value of an education, and with hard work and determination I was privileged enough to obtain a college education. I would like to have a chance to apply what I learned in college and what I have learned from volunteering and work related activities, to contribute to the world community. I know that I might not be able to change the world, but I would like to contribute my talents as needed. I believe that volunteering with the Peace Corps will enable me to do just that.

I majored in Anthropology, Folk Studies, and Social Work in college, which allowed me to study various world cultures. However, reading about culture\people from a textbook, is much different than face to face interaction. Whereas a textbook can explain how something might taste or smell, it’s not tangible. Experience goes far beyond the pages of textbook. Volunteering with the Peace Corps will enable me to have the one on one interaction that was not available in the classroom.

I know that being away from friends and family for over two years will be difficult emotionally. I know that I may face many complex challenges, which includes the possibility of learning a new language. However difficult the challenges might be, I know that serving for the Peace Corps will change my life forever, and I’m ready for that challenge.

No comments: