Friday, February 15, 2008

Naked Mole-Rats...Peace Corps Soup


This little animal really exists! It's called a Naked Mole-Rat, and it makes its home in Africa.

I received this photo in an email today from Megan, one of my email buddies at work. I was very surprised to see the photo, because I just finished reading a book (Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village) that mentions a meal that I believe may have included this little creature. The book was written by a former PCV, Sarah Erdman. In the book she writes about being given a bowl of soup that contained the head of what looked like a rat, with very large buck teeth…still intact. I believe this little creature may have been the main ingredient in Sarah's soup! (You should read this book if you haven't...it's great!). I have to say that I don’t think these little creatures look very appetizing, but I could be wrong...maybe they taste like chicken!

If you are interested, you can find mole-rat info at: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Publications/ZooGoer/2002/3/nakedmolerats.cfm
*Native Africans have long known of the existence of naked mole-rats, which they call sand puppies. *Naked mole-rats are limited to the horn of Africa, including parts of Somalia, Ethiopia, and Kenya.

No comments: